Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lentils and rice in the rice cooker

Just returned from a week in California, eating restaurant food for every meal. It's good to be home - I miss my own cooking when I'm away!

I have a Zojirushi 5-1/2-Cup Rice Cooker that I absolutely love. It makes amazing brown rice, which I make at least twice a week. Tonight I decided to experiment with making both lentils and rice together in the rice cooker.

I used brown jasmine rice from Trader Joe's, by the way - very good quality, organic, not too expensive.Rice cooker lentils & rice

2 rice cooker cups brown jasmine rice, rinsed (rice cooker cups = 180 ml, about 3/4 c)
1 rice cooker cup dry brown lentils, washed/picked over
2 c water (approx)
1 t minced garlic
1 t olive oil
1/2 t garam masala
1/4 t cumin seeds
1/4 t salt

Add all ingredients to rice cooker, stir, select brown rice setting, and hit start!

I served this topped with sauteed onions, kale, and tomatoes, along with fresh cilantro, a little Bragg Liquid Aminos, and nutritional yeast.Finished dish

No comments:

Post a Comment