Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pasta with veggie sausage, kale, & cabbage

The last few weeks of the CSA, we received lots and lots of cabbage. I currently have 5 HUGE heads of cabbage in my basement! I must say, it's getting a little old - we've been eating cabbage every day for a while now. I made cabbage soup, put cabbage in my stir-fries, and used it in the braised veggie sausage dish I made on Sunday. I think I need to try making sauerkraut and kimchee.

Anyway, this recipe arose from the need to find more uses for cabbage. It turned out really well and was super easy and quick.

About 4 servings cooked pasta (I used whole-wheat rigatoni, but penne or spirals would work just as well)
2 links veggie sausage (I used my homemade sausage from Sunday), diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 shallot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 t Italian seasoning
1 medium bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped (I used a combination of purple and green curly kale)
1/4 to 1/2 head green cabbage
1-2 T Parma! (vegan parmesan), optional

In a large pan, saute the onion and shallot over medium heat until softened. Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add the garlic, tomatoes, and seasoning, stirring to combine. Add the kale and cabbage, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale and cabbage reach desired doneness. You may need to add a little water. If you have room in your pan, add the pasta and stir to combine. Otherwise, you can ladle pasta into bowls and top with sausage and kale. Sprinkle with Parma! to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment